Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-16-2003, 11:03 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default Thinking Biblically about Limbaugh's fall

Thinking biblically about Limbaugh's fall

Marvin Olasky

October 16, 2003

"Suck it up, fatso, and stop taking 100 pills a day." That was part of shock-talk radio host Don Imus's Oct. 13 rant about Rush Limbaugh confessing his addiction to prescription pain killers: "Rush is a fat, pill-popping loser and an undisciplined slob ... and -- as soon as he gets caught -- he starts whining."

Most readers of World magazine, which I edit, probably (and rightfully) abhor such a sentiment. Many are fans of the conservative talk show host, share much of his viewpoint and wince that his drug addiction, which began after a failed back operation, gives moral relativists a chance to gloat about "hypocritical conservatives" who purportedly accuse others and excuse themselves.

The hypocrisy charge -- an addicted Limbaugh criticizing other addicts -- is not surprising. Conservatives such as Gary Bauer logically differentiated between the abuse of legal drugs for physical pain and the use of illegal drugs for spiritual or psychological problems, but that distinction did not register with Al Franken, author of the unsubtly titled "Rush Limbaugh Is a Big Fat Idiot." He had a good time roasting Limbaugh for having knocked street drug sellers as well as celebrity addicts such as baseball's Darryl Strawberry and music's Kurt Cobain.

Attacking hypocrisy is almost always a winner for philosophical liberals because if it is the homage vice pays to virtue -- that's what 17th century French writer Francois de La Rochefoucauld declared -- then believers in ethical relativism are inoculated against it, since for them no universal virtues exist. For example, a person who defends marriage can rightfully garner criticism for falling into adultery -- a person who approves of adultery is immune. It works the same way with drug use.

Nor should liberal gloating about Limbaugh's plight by presidential candidate John Kerry and others come as any surprise. For the left, everything is politics: the downfall of an important conservative figure is an occasion for celebration, the death of a liberal leader (like the late Sen. Wellstone) an opportunity for a political rally.

But what conservatives should ponder is a pledge by Newsweek's Jonathan Alter to give "bully boy (or girl) conservatives ... a taste of their own bitter medicine." Yes, the revenge-seeking Alter should be reminded that he who digs a pit falls into it. Nevertheless, we should ask: Have some conservatives been bully boys, rejoicing in the personal degradation of political adversaries such as Bill Clinton?

If so, that's a problem, particularly for Christians. Top preachers say "we sinners," not "you." They remind listeners that there's plenty of sin to go around, and also lots of grace. We can take positions on moral issues without becoming holier-than-thou if we remember that sin is crouching at our door. We are to pray for enemies, realizing that even those most scornful of God may, like the apostle Paul and some ex-abortionists today, become premier evangelists.

News items about Limbaugh's fall should lead to more gospel, not more gossip. The fall of those who cast a large shadow should remind us of the shadows in our own lives and our dependence on God's grace every day. That consciousness should also free us from any tendency to demonize opponents. Satan is utterly evil and will remain that way, but we have no such knowledge about any human being.

Are we left unable to take public positions on moral questions because we cannot find a perfect man or woman to uphold the standards? Of course not -- and conservatives should insist that if Limbaugh did anything that merits a legal penalty, he should pay it. The Bible is clear that justice should be impartial, and that wealth or prominence shouldn't exact a higher or lower penalty. But the Bible also contends that when the mighty have fallen, the nation should lament.

Marvin Olasky is Editor of WORLD magazine, a TownHall.com member group.
Old 10-16-2003, 12:21 PM

Larry thats one thing you'll never hear me do is kick a man when he's down I do hope the mouth dose kick this thing maybe when he comes back maybe he'll be just a little more humble, and see everyone also has feet of clay. sounds good but I don't think I'll put any money on it.
razz
Old 10-16-2003, 12:50 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Post I have never adhered to . . . .

I have never adhered to Rush's style. Though I have often felt similar on some of his issues I have always felt he was a little too cocky and arrogant for me. However, I notice that talk radio does have that arrogant way about it, liberal or conservative boy can they put on that arrogant act. The new "Rush" is some guy out of San Fransico ["Michael Savage" I believe is his name] anyway his program is even more arrogant. Even though I may have sympathies with his opinions, there must be a better way of getting them across. There is this guy who has been in the face of O'Reilly is also quite cocky and I was listening to some liberal guy spout off and he was just as cocky. I just turn them off and listen to music but then I get sleepy if I'm doing a long drive so it goes back to a talk show so I can get mad and interact intellectually, it keeps me awake. Anyway, back to the subject, the good book says; "Pride comes before a destruction and a haughty spirit before a fall." So ....... it doesn't surprise me when the haughty and prideful fall. However, it isn't our job to kick them when they are down.

D.L Moody the famous evangelical evangelist of the late 1800's was walking down the streets of Chicago and a dirty drunk stumble by. A minister in the group which was walking with him made a snide remark about drunks and lower class citizens. D.L. Moody rebuke him with these words, "there go I but by the Grace of God." Kicking someone when they are down is the heighth ethical misconduct. Someday we may be down and will need a little help and forgiveness and not kicked around.

There must be a better way to communicate our differences than by destroying other people in the process.

I even love Gimpy, James and Blues Clues, totally confuse as they are.

I love ya James.

Keith
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2003, 01:17 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default 2 cents worth, or less

Once upon a time, about 16 years ago come 1 November, I came to the conclusion, with the help of my spiritual advisor, that I was not solely responsible for the gross national product of Scotland, and that the entire population was not dependent on my frequent purchases of even their very best Scotch Whiskey. For many years, I had denied the reality that others saw, that the genetic trait I had swimming in all that scotch was just that - a genetic predispositon to abuse alcohol (and tobacco, for good measure!). One of the most gut-wrenching decisions I had to make was confessing to myself that the demon inside could only be exorcized by a Power Greater than myself; having been a cradle-Lutheran, it wasn't difficult to acknowledge God, but until that moment, He and I didn't have the "up-close-and-personal" relationship that is still growing today.

Denial, as any other ex-drunk will tell you, is the last bastion of delusion that we occupy, and our attempts to keep from admitting our addiction are most forceful, convincing (at least toourselves), and most imaginative (as most drunks are profoundly gifted liars). And for a military guy, the concept of surrendering anything, was almost anathema. How could I ever win if I surrendered? But my surrendering my life and will to the care of God, as I understood and strive to understand Him, I win it all, at least those things that are genuinely worthwhile and valuable.

That phrase, "....there but for the Grace of God..." is one of the linchpins of AA, a pithy reminder that we are just one drink away from being a drunk. As my first sponsor once 'splained to me, "One drink is too many, and a thousand is never enough!" For me, admitting that I was a drunk, needing help, was the first step, and in retrospect, became at least 51% of the solution to the problem. Once I admitted the problem was mine, and mine alone, I was on the road which I still happily occupy, making right-of-way for newcomers, whoever they might be.

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
Old 10-16-2003, 01:55 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to BLUEHAWK
Distinctions
Contributor 

Well stated Scout... now we shall see if Rush will take the steps, all of them, in order, fully, and practice them in ALL his affairs.
Old 10-16-2003, 03:25 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

great posts...will just add my 3c worth.....

The political "pundits" on TV, radio, and in front of live audiences.....are "entertainers". Much like pro wrestlers, politicians, and circus clowns....they are there to make money...lots, and lots of money. Don't get me wrong, it is a great feeling to be on the winning side.....be it in sports, the military, chess, golf, corkball, and politics. losing sux. But I am almost 55 years old and I hope to live to be at least 100. So I don't get riled up anymore over all this nonsense. What I do try to do on here and a bunch of other places, is show folks what may be a different truth about things than they may have heard before. So much of our information is pre-packaged, filtered, homogenized, and distorted, that it is real hard, and before the Internet, almost impossible, to get at the truth, because of the time and expense involved. I said all of that to say this. Rush Limbaugh did and still does do a lot of good. He has gotten a lot of folks, me included, to think about a lot of things in a different way. Is he always right ? ....of course not... no one ever is. Can he recover from this ? Sure he can, but as Brice so eloquently stated, he will have to live with this addiction the rest of his life. He can go the AA route or a similar program or he can relapse like so many other well known "entertainers" frequently do, and who are always given cart blanche to do it again, as long as they make the big bucks. ( Some baseball players come to mind ( Steve Howe ? ) who have had 5" "last" chances to clean themselves up from drug and alcohol addiction )

I pray that he returns to good health and good sense, tones down the ego tripping, and donates some of his mega-millions of dollars to programs to help folks who are also addicted to prescription drugs like himself. Then everyone benefits. IMHO

Larry

DEO VINDICE
Old 10-16-2003, 05:19 PM

Distinctions
Contributor 

I think if it hd been any other shock jock, esp liberals, Rush would be saying the same things that Imus said, its all the same there all bottom feeders when it comes to there job.

Still wish em the best in recovery.
Old 10-16-2003, 06:37 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Talking Bottom Feeders

Melody,

Bottom feeders make for good food.

Lobster, Crab, Surgeon, etc.

Keith

P.S. Sorry!
Old 10-16-2003, 06:42 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to BLUEHAWK
Distinctions
Contributor 

Melody's point is likely true, not for sure, but probably so... we call it "contempt before investigation"... quite deadly, mainly to the person doing it.
Old 10-16-2003, 10:21 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

Imus used to be entertaining, but he has turned into an old crank. He is addicted to nicotine gum and chews it constantly. I understand that the cancer ranch he runs is not all it appears to be. The caliber of the guests is not what it used to be, and the recorded comedy routines are not as good. It will probably get better as the election gets near. Five years from now, maybe sooner, Rush's problems will just be a blip on the radar screen and society will move on to the next big thing...

Larry