The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > Branch Posts > Marines

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-03-2003, 05:16 AM

Distinctions
VOM 
Cool Sign linguist makes graduation special - Interpreter for hearing impaired helps recru

Sign linguist makes graduation special - Interpreter for hearing impaired helps recruit's family listen to sounds of celebration
Submitted by: MCRD San Diego
Story Identification Number: 20031031134452
Story by Cpl. Shawn M. Toussaint

MARINE CORPS RECRUIT DEPOT SAN DIEGO, Calif.(October 31, 2003) -- A magical thing happens on almost every Friday aboard the Marine Corps Recruit Depot San Diego. The magic happens to the sound of more than 600 recruits marching proudly onto the parade deck, to the rhythms and melodies of Marine Band San Diego and finally to the screams of admiration of the families and friends of all the graduating Marines.

Company I graduated Oct. 24 and everyone attending experienced the unique sounds of a Marine graduation ceremony, including two hearing impaired visitors from Chicago. For the first time in Depot history, a translator for the deaf was used to bring the sounds of graduation to life for two family members who couldn't hear.

For Jean Luther-White and Kevin Passley, the translator's facial expressions and hand symbols were music to her eyes.

Though Luther-White could not hear the cheers or the playing of the national anthem, the once-in-a-lifetime experience of her son's graduation was not spoiled.

"I am proud of my son," wrote a smiling Luther-White on a tattered note pad. "He worked hard to be a Marine."

Pvt. Sonny White, Platoon 3018, Company I, felt like a five-year-old on Christmas morning when he found out from his drill instructor that his family was going to be present at his graduation, according to Cpl. Lindsey A. Hooge, protocol noncommissioned officer-in-charge.

"I didn't think they were going to make it," said White. "We were having a hard time communicating. I could only communicate through letters. I didn't know if they were going to get to them in time for the graduation. I'm just so happy everything worked out."

According to Passley, White's cousin, the assistance they received from the Depot to suit their special needs was incredible. He said when his brother graduated from Army basic training in August the experience wasn't as good.

"The Marines went that extra mile to ensure we were taken care of out here," wrote Passley.

Although the experience was a success for Luther-White and Passley, there were a couple of bumps in the road trying to get a translator.

The original company contracted to provide a translator for the graduation had lost all the paperwork and could not support the request, according to Hooge. Fortunately, the protocol office was able to contact Danielle M. Reed, a Marine spouse who knows sign language, to save the day for White's family.

"We were lucky she was willing to do it," said Hooge. "It would have been a sad story if we weren't able to support this great cause."

For Reed, the experience was something that brought about a warm feeling from the center of her chest.

"Bringing the experience of Marine graduation to life for someone who otherwise would be left in the dark, brings joy to my heart," said Reed.

Sign language brought the sounds of recruit training to life as the Depot welcomed its first translator for the deaf to Company I's graduation Oct. 24. The translator interpreted the emblem and graduation ceremonies for two hearing impaired family members of Pvt. Sonny White, Platoon 3018, Company I. Photo by: Cpl. Shawn M. Toussaint

http://www.usmc.mil/marinelink/mcn20...A?opendocument

Sempers,

Roger
1961-1977
68/69
Once A Marine............Always A Marine.............

http://www.geocities.com/thedrifter001/
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links