The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > General > General Posts

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-19-2003, 02:46 PM

Default Time To Be Fair

The U.S. Supreme Court is absolutely correct to lend its ear to the appeals of the more than 650 detainees locked away in Guantanamo Bay, Cuba.

The Bush administration has tried to sway the world into believing that the Guantanamo captives, most rounded up in Afghanistan and Pakistan, are all enemies to the red, white and blue.

In truth, that's hard to know because the administration has for two years fought to keep these men languishing in a legal logjam, preventing them from knowing their crimes, denying them even the hope that they will ever have a chance to state their case. Scores of lower courts have sided with the administration's interpretation that the detainees have no right to the U.S. courts because they are being held technically outside American soil in Cuba.

But America does legally lay claim to the naval base where the captives are being held. More important, the court's hearing, expected in early March, may be as close as the detainees get to the rights many Americans take for granted: the right to a lawyer, the right to a trial, and the right to know their crime.

Some Bush backers see the court's intervention as a dangerous move that could undercut the president's mission of rooting out terrorist by any means. They are wrong.

By accepting the case, the court is doing just as much to defend the country, ensuring that, in its zeal, the administration does not run afoul of the Constitution. That may not immediately change the fate of the detainees, but it does guarantee someone is looking out for democracy.
Old 11-20-2003, 07:44 AM

Distinctions
Contributor 
Default MM........

I fully understand: "Fairness" and even a little about America's Constitution, with an emphasis on; "America's",...and also a little about fanatical, murdering of defenseless and/or non-combattant men, women and children, as is quite common doing by most all pathologically murderous scum.

What I will never understand is why ANYONE (politco, judge, citizen or whomever) would even have the slightest concern for such captured sociopaths? Or, and for that matter, why-on-earth ANYONE would be concerned about: "Fairness" for those captured and never concerned about; "Fairness" in any way shape or form for THE MANY "They" have murdered and/or tortured mercilessly for many years,...I find absolutely mindboggling.

I honestly believe that when captured and not being summarily executed as the War Criminals that they actually are,...displayed infinitely much more: "Fairness" than such people-abusing and barbarously-murderous warrior tyrants actually deserve.

Regardless MM, and foolishly letting such scum live and housing them at Guantanamo and at U.S. Taxpayer expense aside, why do you, as many other self-defeating: "Fairness" nuts seem to believe, in that every living and breathing creature on earth (even our fanatical enemies) are covered by MY/YOUR/OUR CONSTITUTION??? IT'S JUST NOT SO,...AND NEVER WAS SO.

Besides, and with all your and the likes great concern over: "Fairness",...where in YOUR equation does any; "Fairness" ever take into consideration the survival and well being of America and The American People ALSO? HELL,...no people should ever be FAIRNESSED TO DEATH!!!

Neil
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2003, 08:28 AM

Distinctions
Contributor 
Question MM38084 (et al)

Quote:
Scores of lower courts have sided with the administration's interpretation that the detainees have no right to the U.S. courts because they are being held technically outside American soil in Cuba.
Whether or not I agree or disagree with this analogy, it did bring to mind several other incidents of wars past!

In World War II, were not American and Allied Prisoners held in Russia and China?

In Korea, were not some POWs detained in China, as they were again in Vietnam?

Using government logic, does this mean that those being detained in Gitmo (Cuba) are also devoid of POW rights under the Geneva Convention?

Hey, I don't personally care if they (GITMO) bakes the bastards, but right is right and a double standard is inherently unfair, unless of course, these guys are all spies and saboteurs - are they Mr. President?!

Hey, and what kind of precedent does this set. My wife's uncle Corporal Melvin Morgan (then but 20 years old), L Company, 21st Infantry Regiment, 24th Infantry Division, was detainee incognito, beaten and starved to death in Korea in 1950, and this was not right.

Now I fully understand that we treat our prisoners far better than they treat theirs, but in some future war, we sure as Hell don't want our captives treated like shit, while the enemy cites GITMO as their reason!

If these captives are just common Joes, and not fanatical bastards, then they deserve a little consideration too! Hell, many of those whom we fought against in WWII now even live here in America, once they learned that the enemy nations that they served were all wet and that we (most of us anyway) are really good people!

VERITAS
Old 11-20-2003, 09:47 AM

Distinctions
Contributor 
Default HARDCORE...

Understand where you're comin-from. Still, I can see absolutely no reason for giving quite barbarous foreign KILLERS & TARGETTERS of defenseless (ie. non-combattant) men, women and children Americans, any protection whatsoever under MY/YOUR/OUR and/or America's Constitution.

Not only would giving America's fanatical enemies and/or murderous terrorists protection and rights guaranteed ONLY American Citizens by Our Constitution be quite foolish,...such nonsense IS ALSO quite enemy encouraging that "They" can waltz-us-around forever, self-defeating, leaving no one to trade with the enemy, and in general keeping us on the defensive forever and ever. And, NO ONE ever won on The Defensive or being prim and proper with ANY ENEMY.

Then too Buddy,...there's that nation between nation Geneva Convention and/or conventional warfare type POW bit you brought-up. I believe that even here it would be self-defeatingly quite silly to one-sided or unilaterally agree to such and/or that which terrorists would only laugh at us for doing so.

Still, and in fairness, and even though I have no way of knowing whether or not,...I have to believe that most terrorists must be laughing just as hysterically at concern about "Them" being given the very same rights by law accorded all American Citizens under The U.S. Constitution. Funnier still, is that in their very own countries or R&R lairs,...THEY HAVE NO RIGHTS WHATSOEVER.

I personally believe it to be just plain stupid to give unarguable foreign assassins or those planning to assassinate Americans (both civilian and military) at every possible opportunity,...ANY PROTECTION by America's Constitution or even The Geneva Convention WHATSOEVER, since making all Americans look like absolute fools.

In my medical opinion, I believe that whatever laws there are or facilities there are for The Criminally Insane, such are what should be used for murderous-scum and/or captured terrorists. I believe such would be more than: "Fair" for such. Hope you don't think my suggestion TOO SHOCKING?

Neil and/or Dr. Sweitzer
Old 11-20-2003, 10:17 AM

Default IN THE TWO TOWERS!!!!!!!!!!!!

There were folks who need fairness, protection, etc.. What did THEY get!!!!!
SF
NC
Old 11-20-2003, 10:38 AM

Distinctions
Contributor 

Well I think that what were doing is wrong to a point. I think for the most part the "people" they have down there are guilty but what about the few that are innocent? If they didn't hate us before they do now.

BUT...........I hate to sound racist, because I am not in any way, but from what i've read and heard these people are nothing but animals. Most of those "people" would shoot us right in the back, there cowards. How else do you deal with them? I do belive in human rights but the way those "people" act isn't human.

We need to stop being so politically correct with this war, its nothing but bull Sh!t! We need to take care of buisness and stop worrying about what Europe and the world will say or think. There not the ones who watched fellow citizens die in those buildings.
Old 11-20-2003, 12:04 PM

Distinctions
Contributor 
Default RIGHT-ON!!!...Melody & Humper.

Whether people like it or not, history proves that if one doesn't fight more viciously, tenaciously and united in totally destroying the enemy with any means available, than their enemy does,...such fools are called: "LOOSERS".

Plus,...I for one don't like seeing my country's government and courts tied-up in knots by some quite asinine sense of: "Fairness", which actually puts all Americans AT MORE RISK than WE ALREADY ARE. What's the point?

Do people actually prefer being known as: "Fairness" ABOVE ALL nuts,...and dead? I would think that most would instead like to be known as: Free and Sensible American Survivors,...plus They and Theirs having been kept safe, alive and well to-boot.

Besides, politicizing most everything, being overly-sensitive and having an obsession with: "Fairness" is no more than just nonsense during normal times,...since life itself simply isn't FAIR. Politically debate: "FAIRNESS" in favor of a viciously fanatical enemy DURING WARTIME,...and now we're talking downright: "LooneyTunes" and/or the realm of the absurd,...which only politicos can fathom and thoroughly appreciate.

Neil
Old 11-20-2003, 12:27 PM

Think about it.
How about if it was you down there or your child down there and you know you have done nothing wrong where is your out?

We need to find out NOW who is the scum and who is innocent, then hang the scum and let the innocent go home.
Old 11-21-2003, 07:35 AM

Distinctions
Contributor 
Default Sorry MM.........

But, and even though many in America and even some Liberal Senators and Congressmen think so naively and exactly like you,...Logic, Intelligence (both ways) and plain old common sense (big on survival also) dictates I must think quite differently.

Besides, everyone knows (or at least should know) that captured (WHEREVER) merciless mercinaries and/or paid assassins of Americans everywhere on earth possible, plus their cheerleader like parents, relatives and recipients of such blood monies,...deserve no concern or compassion whatsoever.

Any and all compassion should be strictly reserved for all human victims (both civilian and military) caused by the lowest breed of merciless predators on the inhuman food chain. After all, the only semblance that such murderous scum (families inclusive) have towards we humans,...is that "They" too honor the almighty buck and/or rewards for killing Americans, more so than anything else.

Wonder how vicious and fanatical such animals and litters might be,...if they stopped getting paid by most all Arab Leaders?

Melody,

What's with this: "If they didn't hate us before, they do now"? Do you honestly believe that most all Arab dictatorships and/or terrorist financiers didn't already hate our guts and despize democracy for over 50 years? Or, that it's only recently that we mean old Americans are forcing them to hate us? I don't think so.

Hell Mel,...politicos, diplomats, negotiators or whatever have been doing nicey-nicey, bringing them here, and everything but kissing arab asses for over 50 years,...MAKING MATTERS WORSE & WORSE. Guess to arabs, being nicey-nicey means only that we're easy marks and ripe-for-the-picken and/or ready to be slaughtered.

Besides, if there are any good people amongst Arabs(?), let them profess their support and friendliness NOW!!! NOT AFTER CAPTURED killing Americans, trying to kill Americans, or plotting to kill Americans. Personally,...I still wouldn't trust-em, especially while Americans are being assassinated each and every day by such. Whatever, I most certainly would never give such foreign assassins any Constitutional Protections penned SOLELY FOR THE PROTECTION OF U.S. CITIZENS.

Neil
Old 11-26-2003, 01:11 PM

November 26, 2003

The three children captured in Afghanistan and held for months at Guantanamo Bay as enemy combatants will be released and sent home "very quickly," the commander of Joint Task Force-Guantanamo said Tuesday.

Maj. Gen. Geoffrey Miller described the youngsters, whose ages the military estimates at 13 to 15, as victims who were kidnapped into terrorism.

He said the U.S. government and Afghan officials are negotiating the details of their release.

By the Orlando Sentinel