The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > Conflict posts > Vietnam

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-10-2003, 07:01 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Wink 3 Dings.....you're Outta Here

It was policy in Nam [I assume this was all units and branches] that if you were wounded 3 times you were rotated out. I am not under the dillusion that this was done out of a sense of compassion. I'm sure that this was out of practicality. They probably figured that after being hit 3 times, the guy was gonna be pretty gun shy and not worth a damn in the field. I can only recall one guy rotating out like this. He was hit 3 times within 2 months. He was starting to take it pretty personal .
Old 12-10-2003, 07:30 PM

Send a message via AIM to 82Rigger
Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default Which brings up an interesting question...

... who has been awarded the most purple hearts?

Airborne! Steve / 82Rigger

Steve / 82Rigger
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2003, 08:15 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

We had a guy in our company with five in one year. three as a LRRP, one in the chow line at an EVAC hospital and one sitting on his suitcase waiting to catch the chopper to leave for home.

Last edited by 82Rigger; 07-14-2008 at 01:00 AM.
Old 12-11-2003, 01:58 AM
Banned

Distinctions
Contributor 
Default Tom

In my unit it was more of a political thing and the severity of the wound. How well you got along with the LT or Capt. If he liked you, you could have a easy ticket to a base camp, if he didn't like you and you had a small wound, you were comming back.
I knew a guy that got sent to a base camp after two months, he and the LT were from the same town and got along well, (LA).
Then the officers only had a 6month tour of field duty so they changed often, Some were only with a field unit for a week.
What a screwd up way to fight a war.

Ron
Old 12-11-2003, 03:14 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

DmzLt said a platoon leader he served with had five.

Larry
Old 12-11-2003, 04:36 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to BLUEHAWK
Distinctions
Contributor 

Guys -
What generally, or specifically, occurs to the chest ribbon as the number of Purple Hearts INcreases? What happens when it runs out of room?

I mean, after four or five of those, there isn't much space left on that little thing.

Also, when wearing the actual medal, on dress uniform, do you wear one medal for each award, or just one medal with attachments? Or what...

Is there ever a time when after a certain number of Purple Hearts a guy sort of "gets" a DSC or something like that?
Old 12-11-2003, 06:27 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Question

Jimmy Jones did have 5 as a platoon leader and I had another guy in my platoon that had 4. I always thought they offered to pull you from the field after 3 but both these guys did not want to let their brothers out there with out them. I spent about 8 months as a 02 platoon leader and then over a month as a Cpt , 03 , platoon leader after I convinced my Squadron Commander he needed experienced platoon leaders more than he needed another Cpt. staff officer. I think I was probably the only one in my platoon that did not earn a PH and a couple of days felt so guilty about that I would walk point and do reckless stuff hoping to get one. I still ain't to smart
Old 12-11-2003, 08:33 AM
Doc.2/47

Mike-

With any PH award there is also an excellent chance of being awarded the wooden cross.
Old 12-11-2003, 08:59 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

You only wear one ribbon or medal. The other awards are signified by oak leaf clusters on them.
Old 12-11-2003, 09:32 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to BLUEHAWK
Distinctions
Contributor 

Doc -
Yup, a wooden one or a white marble tablet I guess eh...

Fairly decent TV program last night, about some guys who earned at least one each recently in a country that starts with an "I"...

1CAV -
Doesn't seem like the itty bitty ribbon would hold as many as five :-o oak leaves, which is I guess Doc's point... I mean, how many dings stay far enough away for there to be enough left to hang a medal on...

Oh well, just kinda wondering what the USA world record for number of clusters might ever have been, and the guy still standing heart beating...