The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > General > General Posts

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-15-2003, 11:29 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default US singer blasts Catholic Church at Vatican Christmas concert

I am not Catholic. I think that this was a very courageous act, and everthing she said was true..

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>.

Monday December 15, 8:15 AM
US singer blasts Catholic Church at Vatican Christmas concert

US hip-hop singer Lauryn Hill stunned leading members of the Roman Catholic Church when she accused them of moral corruption, exploitation and abuse from the stage during a Christmas concert at the Vatican.

Hill, 28, launched her diatribe in front of an audience of 7,500 guests at a packed Paul VI hall, used by Pope John Paul II for indoor public audiences.

"I'm not here to celebrate, like you, the birth of Christ, but to ask you why you are not in mourning for his death in this place," Hill said, reading from a prepared statement as she came on stage for her performance as part of a all-star gala concert.

"Holy God has witnessed the corruption of your leadership, of the exploitation and abuses which are the minimum that can be said for the clergy," she added, calling on the hierarchy to "repent".

Stunned hierarchy in the front row at Saturday night's concert included one of the most senior figures in the Church, Cardinal Camillo Ruini, who is head of the Italian bishops conference.

An aide to Ruini, Bishop Rino Fisichella, described the singer's speech as "a rash outburst. An uneducated act showing a lack of respect for the place she was a guest and for those who invited her."

The Holy See has been widely accused of failing to respond adequately to a paedophile scandal involving priests, particularly in the United States.

The US Church has been under intense fire over the policy of some archdioceses of moving known child abusing priests from parish to parish over decades.

Hill, a former member of The Fugees and winner of five Grammy Awards, said she was not speaking as a representative of any religious organisation.

Italian press reports Sunday said her attack was unlikely to be included when the concert is broadcast on Italian television on December 24, Christmas Eve.

Other artists performing at the event, now in its 11th year, included Ronan Keating, Khaled, Randy Crawford, Solomon Burke, Kelly Joyce, Polish singer Natalia Kukulska, and American Gospel and Italian choirs.
Old 12-15-2003, 12:12 PM

Send a message via AIM to Bill Farnie
Distinctions
VOM 

I shy away from commenting on things of a religious nature but being a Catholic myself I have to agree that the Church has been grossly wrong in covering up cases of molestation within the Church and I feel that any cleric found to be a child molester by the Church should be prosecuted to the full extent of the law and not shuffled of to another assignment only to do it again and again. End of story.

It is well that war is so terrible, or we should get too fond of it. General Robert E. Lee
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2003, 12:15 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Post Her Words Were True . . . but . . . .

I believe that even though her observations were true, there is a proper time and place for such a venue. I think she could have stated such in her concerts, etc. But when invited into someone's home you aren't suppose to insult the host. After all it was a privilege to be invited. I believe she was out of line. However, little things like this might wake up the Catholic Church. But, I'd say what she did was tacky!

Keith
Old 12-15-2003, 12:18 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Angry

I believe it safe to say that she is off the Vatican guest list and Christmas card list. These arrogant, empty-headed Yank supposed ?artists? are an embarrassment, blight on our culture and an international joke. Simple concepts like manners and protocol might as well be rocket science to them. Sure the Vatican has issues, so what, who doesn?t, but there is a time and place for descent and protest and a Vatican Christmas party isn?t one of them. Besides that, the Vatican is a County like any other Country and I hope the idiot gets a jet blast from the State Department. I wouldn?t be surprised to learn that she peed in the basilica as a closing gesture, which would fit the behavior and intellectual level.

Scamp
Old 12-15-2003, 12:30 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Post Scamp!

I believe I'm a little more polite than you.

Ditto:

Keith

P.S. I wouldn't approve of someone coming into my congregation and blasting our congregation for its short comings. (Like having a strange pastor) That wasn't the time and place. No wonder we are called the ugly Americans.

I do believe her statements to be true but . . . . very tacky to say the least.
Old 12-15-2003, 01:34 PM

Distinctions
Contributor VOM 
Default Keith & Scamp

Old 12-15-2003, 02:01 PM

Send a message via AIM to Bill Farnie
Distinctions
VOM 

revwardoc and everyone else,

Yes you all are right. I wasn't saying what she did and or should I say where she did it was O.K. She, or anyone else, could have chosen a better venue for her comments. With that said, I feel the Church has a lot of work to do as far as this issue is concerned

It is well that war is so terrible, or we should get too fond of it. General Robert E. Lee
Old 12-15-2003, 03:23 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default Ya'll and all....

The Vatican is basically inert and has been for centuries so I don?t get the point in hassling them. To the credit of bold US Catholic Bishops and right thinking Catholic Priests there is a strong stance in the US and proactive measures taken and some of them are tantamount to an ?up-yours? to the Vatican. But heck, the Vatican hasn?t landed the Swiss Guard on our shores to go kick some Bishop/Priest butt, so I guess it?s status quo for the moment. I don?t suppose Hill mentioned that or has uttered a word of encouragement to right thinking US Catholic Clergy. No, that wouldn?t be sensational or suit her idiotic bias toward egocentric grandstanding BS. Hey, maybe a movie can be made about this idiotic episode. A suitable title might be ?The puny pathitic mouse that crapped on the Vatican?. I?m a former Catholic and I certainly have a bunch of bones to pick with them, not the least of which is the Vatican/Catholic Church conduct in Vietnam as one of the stupid wars within a war. But on the other hand I totally respect people of Christian faith (And some Asian faiths as well) and where fitting, will express my descent in a proper non-public way. Maybe that?s one of the few good habits I own, maybe. But back to Hill, as Forrest Gump?s Ma said ?Stupid is as stupid does?

Scamp
Old 12-15-2003, 04:12 PM

Distinctions
POM Contributor 

Aye laddies could we be forgettin' now the message of John the Baptistcome preachin' repentance to the religious and political leaders of his time.Then pointing the way to the Rebel Jesus whowent about messing up everyones partyturning tables over in the temple and clearing the buyers and sellers from his Father's house.

They really didn't know what to do with him but to kill him as he was about to upset their political and religious apple cart. Thinking they had the malcontent safely in the tomb he had the audacity to come out of the grave and mess up a perfectly fine day. Embolden byHis refusal to keepHis place His followerspreceded to turn the world upside down with a message of repentance, mercy and grace.

The Faith of which we speak is filled with representatives that weren't always cautious about the status quo. We have a whole history of what happened to those folks throughout the Old and New Testaments andthe classic "Foxes Book of Martyers".

I am not familiar with the younglady in question.But I'lltell you ladsit would have been a good day for many of usindeed tohave one like herto intercede on our behalfignoring protocol and taking the problem outside the walls of those institutions that were supposed to protect us.

Arrow>>>>>>>>>>

Thomas Jefferson, Kentucky Resolutions of 1798: "In questions of power then, let no more be heard of confidence in man, but bind him down from mischief by the chains of the Constitution."
Old 12-15-2003, 06:17 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Post Sis,

Sis,

They way she should have done her protest was:

Hold a news conference and explain why she couldn't sing at the Vatican. It still would have been as affective but done properly. I am not against her message. But, if done properly, more people may have listened. So much that is wrong with American is symbolic of her actions. Lack of respect for authority, the older generation, and protocol. Her point is well taken and valid but the venue wasn't correct. It was tacky! And therefore it probably won't receive the attention it deserves.

Keith