The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > Conflict posts > Vietnam

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-15-2004, 01:29 PM

Send a message via AIM to 82Rigger
Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default Mail Call

Do ya'll ever watch "Mail Call" on the History Channel?

Ol' R. Lee Ermey is just the absolute epitome of a Marine D.I. ain't he?

If they ever make a Marine Corps D.I. postage stamp, his picture oughta be on it.

They have quite a bit of Vietnam stuff on the show.

What a job! Get paid lotsa dollars for shootin' cannons and machine guns and blowin' stuff up!

I like the show, but I could live without bein' called a maggot and scumbag and meat head all the time.

Airborne! Steve / 82Rigger

Steve / 82Rigger
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-15-2004, 02:02 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default Hey Steve.....

Don?t forget the moniker ?numb nuts? or Gunny Emery will be all over you. Besides those names are used because he really likes you. Now if ya get on his wrong side then he goes to a whole new page of names, yikes !!!!!

Anyway, I like his demonstrations of the ancient stuff but don?t get excited about the newer stuff as that?s all fairly well known/cut and dried. But a good show none-the-less, cept I?m not all that hot on some Jar Head calling me ?squid?. There was a time when that caused a lot of property and real estate damage for innocent and unaware innkeepers, LOL.

Scamp
Old 01-15-2004, 03:40 PM

At least he dont call you " GOMER ' or PYLE .......

good show though......

enough........
Old 01-15-2004, 04:13 PM

He was the D.I. in the movie Full Metal Jacket. Makes my skin crawl to think about those days!!

O Almighty Lord God, who neither slumberest nor sleepest; Protect and assist, we beseech thee, all those who at home or abroad, by land, by sea, or in the air, are serving this country, that they, being armed with thy defence, may be preserved evermore in all perils; and being filled with wisdom and girded with strength, may do their duty to thy honour and glory; through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

"IN GOD WE TRUST"
Old 01-16-2004, 09:11 AM

Distinctions
Staff VOM 
Default Like it

I watch it and like it. Only had one problem. The program they did on the M-79. The army now uses that over and under 40mm attached to an M-16. We had those, as an experiment I suppose and the 40mm was very in-accurate. I loved that old M-79. In today's army I'd like to see the M-79 make a come back, the troop could also be issued a 9mm MP-5 in place of the standard 9mm pistol. OK, I'm nit picking, it's a good show.

He does seem to be very friendly for a basic training sergeant. In the movie, We Were Soldiers, remember Sam Elliot? That's what I remember.

Stay healthy,
Andy
Old 01-16-2004, 12:32 PM

Default Andy

I used both the M-79 and the M-203. I believe the accuracy of either weapon depends on the gunner. I think that those who were M-79 gunners received more range time with the weapon than the M-203 gunners receive. Extensive range time with the over-under weapon will allow the gunner to become more efficient and increase accuracy. Plus, he doesn't have to carry two seperate weapons.