The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > Branch Posts > Marines

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-20-2004, 05:28 AM

Distinctions
VOM 
Cool Bob Zangas' Journey In Iraq Ends (Served with USMC, Volunteer Civilian,Blogger Killed

Bob Zangas' Journey In Iraq Ends (Served with USMC, Volunteer Civilian,Blogger Killed in Iraq)

Tragically we lost a journalist/ blogger about a week ago in an ambush by terrorists in middle Iraq.

Colonel Robert Zangas courageously served 6 months with the USMC this past year as a Civil Affairs Officer in the 4th Civil Affairs Group; and shortly after, returned as a volunteer civilian with the Coalition Provisional Authority working in the Public Affairs Department until June. Zabgas was also a popular blogger (militarypages.com) read by many of us here on the net. "The purpose of my blog," Bob said, "is to keep you up to speed on my activities, see pictures of where I?ve been, and to let you know, FIRST HAND, what it is like to be in Iraq?the stuff you don?t hear about on the nightly news."

Back in January, Bob wrote on his blog site {in part}:
"Working Journalist on 9-11 January" :

"I must remind myself that I am here in Iraq. There are wonderful people, interesting things to see, great work to be done, fast, fun and furious...all closely monitored by terrorists. This is a hard concept for me to realize because I only see the good over here. But I am constantly reminded of the threat by our security guys. I?m sorry, but I just can?t buy into it yet. Perhaps when a bullet ricochets near my body, I?ll see the light. However, for now, security is just a pain in the attitude. Whenever we go off base, we are supposed to have two vehicles and at least two people with weapons. We are now down to 4 people that can do that job. I am one of 10 different functional groups that need to go into town or to another province to get my job done. Needless to say, my journalistic skills will be exercised not in my press releases, but in the request for security. I have to make it sound like a life or death situation in order to get approval."

I say, let me go in an un-marked car with a ?koufeeyeh? (the head dress for men) on my head and I?d be safer. The terrorists are looking for two-car vehicles any way. They won?t be looking for a skinny kid from Pittsburgh."

"Yesterday we heard two VERY powerful explosions. I was chairing a meeting of the Iraqi media guys. My chest cavity vibrated and the windows shook. I looked around the room and no one seemed to be upset. These Iraqis are COMBAT vets, people. When I went outside to look for the mushroom cloud, there were several other CPA people doing the same thing. But no cloud could be seen an no one was running towards the shelters. So it must have been ok. Life goes on."

Bob writes in his last blog report:
"Working for the Man" 1 ? 6 March 1-6:

"The Marines are back?.hundreds of vehicles on the road to Baghdad. I mean HUNDREDS. They go on for miles. I think the Iraqis like the Marines better than the other Coalition Forces. There was a different relationship. The Marine?s motto was, ?No worse enemy. No better friend.? After the war, the Marines made sure that the second half of the motto was well understood. It is good to see more Jarheads around here."

"We have two Marines here with us now. They just got into country for the first time. (Most of the other marines were already here for the war and are returning.) These two guys don?t have enough to do yet (THEY WILL shortly) so every project they undertake has a colossal process to go through. A simple task such as driving to another town takes on the importance of a full-blown amphibious invasion. It is almost funny to watch the difference between what they do and what the Army did with respect to operations. I love Marines. I hope they don?t get burned out."

OK?that?s enough for today.

Hang on to your dreams!

Bob

Bob Zangas' Journey In Iraq

Iraqi blogger,Omar, reported Zanger's death to his readers Wednesday, March 17, 2004.

Pic's and Daily Journal
http://militarypages.com/cfiles/siteone.asp?p=38&id=23

Ellie
1961-1977
68/69
Once A Marine............Always A Marine.............

http://www.geocities.com/thedrifter001/
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links