Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > General > General Posts

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-30-2004, 03:20 PM

Distinctions
Contributor 
Default 'Brotherhood of Bikers' rallies in Iraq

'Brotherhood of Bikers' rallies in Iraq

By Cpl. Benjamin Cossel

CAMP BLACKJACK, Iraq (Army News Service July 26, 2004) -- Organizers from the 1st Cavalry Division brought together Soldiers and civilians from Camp Blackjack and Camp Victory in a ?Brotherhood of Bikers? gathering July 24.

?I?m a biker,? said the event?s coordinator, Maj. Paul Krantz, 2nd Brigade Combat Team Surgeon. ?And these are my brothers and sisters.?

Krantz said he wanted to provide an opportunity for individuals with a common passion, riding and working with motorcycles, a chance to gather and have a good time.

Admission was free to all, but for $5 attendees received a custom T-shirt commemorating the event as well as a raffle ticket for a chance to win one of more than $1,000 worth of prizes donated by various motorcycle shops around the Fort Hood area. All proceeds generated from the sales of T-shirts and raffle tickets benefited the 1st Cavalry Division Association.

?It?s just one of those things that make this place feel a little more like home,? said Sgt. 1st Class Shayne Dumas, motor pool sergeant, Headquarters Service Battery, 3rd Battalion, 82nd Field Artillery Regiment, who attended ?Brotherhood of Bikers.?

Dumas was one of several participants who brought along his motorcycle for display during the festivities.

?Once I started putting the word out about trying to get this all together, the help and support just started pouring in,? said Krantz, who rides a 2001 Harley Fat-Boy that he?s customized into a Road King. ?Folks from KBR [Kellog, Brown and Root] donated food and non-alcoholic beverages, and I had a lot of help from folks in the brigade and division.?

Sgt. Maj. Merle Henry, the division retention senior advisor, was one of those individuals who came to Krantz?s aid.

?We in the retention business sell the Army, so we really know how to get the word out about events,? said Henry, who enjoys riding his Fat Boy with his wife.

Sgt. 1st Class Anthony Thomas of Company D, 15th Forward Support Battalion, provided the soundtrack as people sat on picnic tables eating barbecue, talking about their motorcycles and the rides they intend to take once they get home.

?I bought a 2004 Harley Dyna Glide here that I just can?t wait to try out once I get home,? said Sgt. 1st Class Ken Gutchak of Headquarters Company, 91st Engineer Battalion. ?Being here, at this rally, is a good thing. It?s nice for all of us to have an opportunity to share in our experiences, talk about home for a little bit and kind of forget where we are for just a few hours.?

As the day ended, banners thanking Fort Hood area sponsors were laid out and Soldiers swarmed to sign them, thanking the businesses for their support.

As for another bike rally, Krantz noted how the success of the day?s event would have a direct impact on the future of the ?Brotherhood.?

?Everyone here who knows a biker or shop owner back home is going to call or write back home and tell them about this,? Krantz said. ?As those shop owners see this as a viable biker rally, we?ll get more support and more donations and this whole thing could get huge before you know it.?

Notably absent at the rally was the signature leather attire common to biker clubs, but the group was tight-knit just the same.

?While you can take the bikes out of the rally, you can?t take away the camaraderie and the good times events like this bring; this is a real morale booster,? said Sgt. Frank Novak, Company E, 15th FSB, a veteran of several biker rallies in the United States.

Dumas said the day was Soldiers and civilians getting together for some fun and to share their common interest.

?My bike is my relaxation,? Dumas said. ?I try to get a few laps in on it, but I can?t really ride it around [here], because it?s frowned on.?

(Editors note: By Sgt. Dan Purcell contributed to this article. Purcell and Cpl. Benjamin Cossel are from the122nd Mobile Public Affairs Detachment.)

Soldiers and civilians alike sign banners thanking Fort Hood area sponsors who donated more than $1000 worth of prizes for a raffle held during the "Brotherhood of Bikers" rally July 24 at Camp Blackjack.

sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links