The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > General > General Posts

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-06-2004, 03:36 PM

Distinctions
Contributor 
Default Navy Recruiting Sets New Record

Navy Recruiting Sets New Record

Officials and recruiters of Navy Recruiting Command are celebrating the thirty-sixth consecutive month of making active-duty enlisted accession and new contract objective goals July 31, continuing to raise the bar for the sea service?s future recruiting success.

Due to the unprecedented accomplishments of the recruiting force, the Navy has been able to concentrate on bringing in better quality recruits and more directly reflect the vision of the Chief of Naval Personnel Vice Adm. Gerald L. Hoewing.

"The sustained achievement our recruiters have produced for the past three years is central to our force-shaping goals for both the active and reserve Navy,? said Hoewing. ?Their hard work is ensuring the fleet has the best educated, best qualified and most diverse Sailor possible. Our Navy recruiters have been doing a tremendous job and are critical to our success in shaping the Navy of tomorrow.?

"It's rewarding to take young men and women and help them become people who really want to serve their country,? said Hull Technician 2nd Class (SW) Justin McNicol, recruiter in Moline, Ill. ?I get tremendous satisfaction watching them mature from high school teenagers to confident young men and women, ready to assume the helm of tomorrow's Navy."

Navy Recruiting has steadily increased the quality of its recruits by doubling the number of enlisted recruits with college experience. This has allowed for a more selective process admitting more recruits from what it calls Test Score Category (TSC) I-IIIA, those applicants that score a 50 or above on the Armed Services Vocational Aptitude Battery (ASVAB). Increasing the number of applicants with above average test scores has helped contribute to a lower attrition rate for recruits in boot camp.

Likewise, Navy Recruiting has also been able to concentrate on creating a more diverse Navy. TSC I-IIIA diversity recruits have increased an average of 65 percent in the last year, and Navy Recruiting is expected to exceed that number in the future due to the inception of the new Diversity Advisor division at recruiting headquarters in Millington, Tenn.

Recruiters are pleased with the accomplishment, as they steadily diminish the former record for recruiting of 21 consecutive months.

?It feels good to be out here working hard and knowing we are making a difference. It is a rewarding feeling to know that we are making our goals and putting qualified people in the Navy,? said Aviation Machinist's Mate 2nd Class (AW) Tyler Dexter, recruiter in charge of Navy Recruiting Station Plano, Texas. ?I know that my station and other stations in my area are consistently exceeding our goals. It?s really a great feeling to know I am contributing to CNRC?s [Commander, Navy Recruiting Command] success.?

That sentiment is shared in the Navy recruiter ranks. Many who have contributed to the success of recruiting have been able to go to their hometowns and recruit. Yeoman 2nd Class (SW/AW) Jason Bullock, a recruiter at Navy Recruiting Station Texas City, Texas, and native of nearby Clear Lake, Texas, has been able to rise to the top in his recruiting district while serving close to home.

?I enjoy my Job,? said Bullock. ?I feel, like many of the other recruiters, that it is important to motivate applicants to join the Navy. I feel this mindset has allowed us to be successful, and being this close to home allows me to feel more comfortable in doing my job as a recruiter.?

CNRC Rear Adm. Jeffrey L. Fowler praised the work of Navy Recruiting personnel.

?I am particularly pleased that my hard-working recruiters have raised the bar in so many areas while maintaining our streak of success," Fowler said. "My recruiters have impressive young men and women waiting in an unprecedented Delayed Entry Program (DEP) pool to join our Navy and serve our country. My recruiters are using this time in the DEP for the growth and development of these future Sailors to be even more successful when they join our ranks."

Recruiters and support personnel of recruiting are now looking forward to their next goal: making it 37 consecutive months of making goal.

Note: By Journalist 2nd Class Chris Conklin, Navy Recruiting Command Public Affairs MILLINGTON, Tenn. (NNS)

Navy Counselor 1st Class Irving McNeil, a Navy Recruiter assigned to the Naval Recruit Depot, San Diego, Calif., stands in front of the Navy sponsored Busch series NASCAR on display at the Fontana Speedway. The Navy sponsored NASCAR, number 14, is driven by Casey Atwood who competed in the Stater Bros. 300, finishing 29th in a field of 43 starting drivers. U.S. Navy photo by Photographer's Mate 1st Class Arlo Abrahamson.

sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-06-2004, 04:04 PM

Send a message via AIM to SparrowHawk62 Send a message via Yahoo to SparrowHawk62

"Navy Counselor 1st Class Irving McNeil, a Navy Recruiter assigned to the Naval Recruit Depot, San Diego, Calif"

This is reason enough to buy all the BS that the Navy tries to float by! Are recruiter's know for telling the truth all of a sudden?
It was a great day when my recruiter walked by me on the Hanger Bay of the USS Independence! I asked him why he never told me about the "Fleet"! He bought the beers in Naples!

A veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life." That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it. -- Author Unknown
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote