The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > Conflict posts > Vietnam

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-28-2006, 10:43 AM

Default Building Scool in vietnam

Just wondering what you guys thought about this, remember the guys name a while back(Gary Gullickson), about a book "deal"

Rochester, Minn.

The Post-Bulletin

In a tiny meeting room Thursday, six John Marshall High School students sat at a table surrounded by U.S. Vietnam War veterans and Rochester residents who had been refugees of that war.

They gathered to talk about building a nursery school in the province of Quang Tri in Vietnam. The students have pledged to raise $9,000 to build the school, complete with playground equipment and uniforms for the students.

They are working with Development of Vietnam Endeavors (DOVE), an organization founded by Vietnam War veterans and Vietnamese-Americans to provide humanitarian and development assistance to the country.

Gary Gullickson, a DOVE member and Vietnam vet, introduced the students to DOVE during a presentation he made in their American History class last school year. That inspired the students to be the first in the United States to build a school in Vietnam.

Gullickson brought the students and Rochester Vietnamese-Americans together Thursday in hopes the students might learn first-hand about the Vietnamese-Americans' experiences. Interpreter Rick Y helped, because most of the Vietnamese-Americans there spoke no English.

The 14 or so former refugees, now age 55 to 75, said little about their experiences. Instead, the meeting became a place for everyone to express feelings of appreciation and understanding. And, in the case of Vietnam veteran and DOVE member E.J. Nahmens, of Friendship, Wis., it was a chance to express regret and hope of reconciliation.

"For many years, Vietnam tormented me, tugged at my heart and visited me in my dreams," Nahmens said, holding back tears. "As a combat soldier, I feel personally responsible for destroying your country. So, this is a way for me to feel like I'm helping your country, as well as myself."

John Marshall student Linh Bui, whose parents are Vietnamese immigrants, acknowledged the kinship she felt toward the former refugees across the table from her.

"When I look at these people, I see my own grandparents; I see my own family," she said. "Even though some people might not agree with the government (in Vietnam) now, we still have to try to make it better."

Speaking in his native language, Vietnamese-American Hong Tran told the students and vets that he felt touched by their dedication to helping the Vietnamese people. He thanked the students for taking on such a big job and for having such big hearts.
Old 07-28-2006, 11:27 AM

Have you ever notice after a major war or conflict that we kick the shit out of our enemies how quick we wanna run back and make something right?

Why is that?

Why do American's wanna do that?

How many of those who've done harm to us come back here and say I wanna do something for you American's for making me free?

Why is it we do this?

Is it later in our lives we feel we owe them something?

Is it guilt?

Hey we were sent there to do a job and we did it and now we feel bad and we wanna help those who were going to kill us?

I need some help here - Thanks

The kids above helping others is great but why not help our own who are also in dire straights in many areas. Why do we have to over seas - Why?

O Almighty Lord God, who neither slumberest nor sleepest; Protect and assist, we beseech thee, all those who at home or abroad, by land, by sea, or in the air, are serving this country, that they, being armed with thy defence, may be preserved evermore in all perils; and being filled with wisdom and girded with strength, may do their duty to thy honour and glory; through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

"IN GOD WE TRUST"
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2006, 11:54 AM
Banned

Distinctions
Contributor 

Pardon my french but Fuck the Gooks.

Ron
Old 07-28-2006, 12:26 PM

I agree 100% all the way, how many are coming from Vietnam to help rebuild New Orleans!!!!!!!!
Old 07-28-2006, 12:38 PM

Exactly - and how many owe us monies for unpaid loans. How many still want us to come over and their asses once the shit hits the fan. And then they want us OUT ASAP - give me a break.

O Almighty Lord God, who neither slumberest nor sleepest; Protect and assist, we beseech thee, all those who at home or abroad, by land, by sea, or in the air, are serving this country, that they, being armed with thy defence, may be preserved evermore in all perils; and being filled with wisdom and girded with strength, may do their duty to thy honour and glory; through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

"IN GOD WE TRUST"
Old 07-28-2006, 01:06 PM
Banned

Distinctions
Contributor 

L2
In the veitnames defence, Tom and Exlrrp have gone there and had a good time and several others also. So There not bad, Its just I have no use for them.
A much better person to judge the Vietnamess would be TOM.
In the video of Tom and His wife and James and his girl friend at the AK 47 range, I belive I would have turned around with that AK and got a few more. But thas me.
A Capt once told me, a long time ago, Always forgive, never forget.

Ron
Old 07-28-2006, 03:19 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

I give to a charity and the link is below. Over time they have provided more than 103,000 artificial limbs and wheel chairs to men, women, and children in Vietnam.

http://vnah-hev.org/index.php

I only give to charities, including those in the USA, that use the gifts they receive efficiently and do not have a lot of overhead, like many you see listed in the United Way booklets.

Larry
Old 07-28-2006, 05:28 PM

Distinctions
Contributor 
Angry We Don't Owe Anything Because of Vietnam:

I agree with 39mto39g, Boats, and LCPD24. We don't owe the Gooks anything because of Vietnam. If anything--THEY OWE US for trying to save their good for nothing country, and their corrupt series of governments, from Communism. I have no interest in ever going back or rebuilding anything in that country.

If history shows us anything it is that the Vietnamese will just spit in our faces and then want us out of their country should any of us ever go back with the idea to rebuild anything.

To all of my Vietnam Veteran Brothers and Sisters I again wish you a big: WELCOME HOME:

VIETNAM 1968
Old 07-29-2006, 09:18 AM

Distinctions
Contributor 

Leave them to what they have become. A commie nation. That now sees it wasn't cracked up what it was to be.

If your going to suceed your going to have to know how to deal with failure. (Joe Torre).
Old 07-29-2006, 10:28 AM

Send a message via AIM to Bill Farnie
Distinctions
VOM 

Thre RVN didn't want to be communists. The school is to be built in Quang Tri which all should know, is in the former RVN. I say let them help build the school.

With that said, I have no desire to go back to Vietnam either.

It is well that war is so terrible, or we should get too fond of it. General Robert E. Lee