Contributor 
Default Turn Signals

Can't have a decent disscusion
Sponsored Links
Old 03-26-2007, 06:26 AM
Super Moderator

Distinctions
VOM Staff Contributor 

Ron and I meet at a stop sign. He's going north and I'm going south. We both come to a stop at the same time and so pull away from the signs at the same time. Ron isn't using a signal but turns left in front of me and I t-bone his car and tear mine up pretty bad too. When the cops come Ron tells the cop that he doesn't have turn signals on the front of his car and damn well doesn't believe in turn signals anyway. After all; "there is no reason you have to know I am turning or maybe turning, you should wait till I pass to pull out anyway" so Ron has the right of way doncha know. Who's at fault?
Old 03-26-2007, 02:05 PM
Super Moderator

Distinctions
VOM Staff Contributor 

If I recall properly when I took my drivers test when I was 16 in Ohio and got my probationary drivers license, again in Seoul, Korea (International License), 21 years old again in Ohio, CDL and Motorcycle endorsement, 1994, Riverdale, Georgia, regular drivers license with motorcycle endorsement and most recently September, 2006, turn signal usage was required when changing lanes on multi lane roadways and when turning off of the roadway on to another roadway, driveway, parking lot, or exit ramp. Points were deducted from your exam score for failure to signal driving intentions.
When coming to a Stop sign you must come to a complete stop and if more than one vehicle is stopped at the intersection due to stop signs the vehicle that came to a complete stop first has the right of way. If two vehicles arrive at the stop sign at the same time either the vehicle on the right has the right of way or if the vehicles are going in opposite directions a vehicle that is turning left must yeild to a vehicle going straight.
In Ohio, Korea and Georgia it was "Failure to yeild" = Automatic Failure" of drivers exam.
Another neat thing is that using your turn signals is just a nice thing to do so others around you can make your driven path easier because they know what you intend on doing. Almost daily I drive to an intersection where I'm on a side road turning into a 4 lane. The four lane has a signal light 200 feet from that side road. I've noticed that those that pull up to that intersection that don't use their signal just end up waiting and waiting and waiting but I use my signals and the next time the light turns red 200 feet away someone will invariably stop short and allow me to merge into traffic. Ain't courtesy a great thing or would you prefer getting pissed off because no one made way for you?
Old 03-28-2007, 03:52 AM

Send a message via AIM to SparrowHawk62 Send a message via Yahoo to SparrowHawk62

I don't know but I think Turn Signals are a pretty good thing. I've driven all kinds of streets and byways in my time, and I use my turn signals. There's nothing like guessing what the other guy is gonna do. People in my neck of the woods have a habit of thinking they have right a way when it comes to making a left hand turn in front of on coming traffic or jumping the light to do so. I like knowing what the other guys intents are. Nothing like getting cut off when you're driving a large truck, loaded to the gills!
For a few years now, I've thought that turn signals must be an option on some of the newer cars. People just don't use them.
What ever the case and no matter what I'm driving, I'll be using my turn signals.

A veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life." That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it. -- Author Unknown

Last edited by 82Rigger; 07-14-2008 at 01:12 AM.
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 04:05 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

It's not only the Law in SC that you must use turn signals, it is also a courtesy to those around you to know your intention. Courtesy has long since gone from American drivers. It is selfish and foolish to not signal your intent to another driver. They put them in a convienient location, not under the passenger seat. Drivers that don't use a signal get a real clear signal back from me.

Pack

"DISSENT IS PATRIOTIC!" (unknown people for the past 8 years, my turn now)
Old 03-28-2007, 05:04 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

Ron,

I wasn't inferring that you advocate the non-use of turn signals. I don't trust that someone, when coming at me, is going to turn even when they are signalling....I wait until they turn or go by to pull out. Your right when you say that people think they have a right of way just because the other person is signalling. I was coming up on an intersection with a Shell Station just beyond the street on the right. I tried to wait until the last minute to put on the signal so the people behind me would know, but hopefully the one waiting to turn right onto the road I was on, wouldn't assume I was turning on to their street. Sure enough, they started to pull out on me and I had to hit the horn hard to get them to stop. One, your right, I had the right of way even with signal on, two, the person was at a red light and although legal to turn right on read, the law says with caution. Most people think that them turning right on red gives them the right of way. So, the idea of not having a front turn signal has some credence, since this person obviously thought I was turning up the street they were on. Sometimes in heavy traffic if I see someone in the opposite direction wanting to turn left, I will slow down and flash my lights and wave them through, thus letting people behind them not have to wait forever for the other to have an opening. So, this would be a good reason for keeping turnsignals on the front, but not a completely necessary one. The person could also use an arm signal like we all had to learn years ago.

Pack

Old 03-28-2007, 05:07 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

Ron
Seen numerous accidents at 4 way stop sign posted intersections.
The person turning left (who technically had the right-of-way because he arrived there first) failed to signal. the person traveling in the opposite direction assumed the other person was going straight.....Hence a crash
Bob K

God bless the ACLU
Old 03-28-2007, 06:46 AM

Distinctions
Contributor VOM 

Here's a situation I hate:

You're driving down the road and have to make a left turn. There's a car, wanting to make a left turn, sitting at the stop sign of the steet you want to turn into. He sees your turn signal and, for some stupid reason, feels that he has the OK to pull out of the street in front of you. I've gotten into several near accidents in this situation. Now I wait until the last second to put on my signals and that's only if there's someone coming in the opposite direction.
Old 03-28-2007, 08:31 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

No Ron,

I helped you out because you were in the other lane waiting for someone to let that guy turn so you could get going. Also, I noticed that traffic was stopped up ahead so I let enough room for that person to get in and didn't hold up anyone, they would have had to stop anyway. It's also called a courtesy, which as I also said, is rapidly disappearing.

Pack

Old 03-28-2007, 08:41 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

Ron
Go have a bill introduced to the senate to have the front signal lights not installed on all new cars......or just put some hamster tape over the front turn signal lenses on all your vehicles
bOOger

God bless the ACLU