08-22-2011 02:12 AM

Published:
Mon, 2011-08-22 10:06

488th IS captain receives prestigious NAACP award

Heather Joy

feature_story_photo:
37th Annual Armed Services and Veterans Affairs Awards Dinner
Courtesy Photo by Charmayne Stahr
Capt. Carsten Stahr, center, holds the NAACP Meritorious Service Award, which was presented to him by Gen. Norton A. Schwartz, left, Chief of Staff of the Air Force, and Hilary O. Shelton, Senior V.P., Advocacy & Policy, Director, Washington Bureau

488th IS captain receives prestigious NAACP award

by Karen Abeyasekere
100th Air Refueling Wing Public Affairs

Capt. Carsten Stahr, 488th Intelligence Squadron Mission Support Flight commander, was presented the prestigious National Association for the Advancement of Colored People Meritorious Service Award, July 26 at the 37th Annual Armed Services and Veterans Affairs Awards Dinner, during the 102nd Annual NAACP Convention in Los Angeles, Calif.

The award is presented annually to an American military service member in a policy-making position who has distinguished themself by making a significant contribution to their country, in the area of civil, human rights, race relations, equal opportunity, affirmative action, human resources and public service. Instituted in 1975 by the Armed Services Veterans Affairs Department, it is so prestigious that past recipients have nearly all been general officers, including Gen. Colin L. Powell, ret., former chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff. The lowest ranking officer - until now - was a colonel. The co-recipient of this year's award is Brig. Gen. Balan R. Ayyar, from Randolph Air Force, Texas.

Stahr, a force support officer, explained that his career field is the only one that allows officers to be involved in equal opportunity as a special duty assignment.

While stationed at Edwards Air Force Base, Calif., Stahr was appointed the deputy director for equal opportunity.

"It wasn't something I was actively pursuing, but I was asked if I was interested, and I decided I definitely was," he said.

He worked the special-duty assignment for 18 months at Edwards AFB, and worked at the EO office here when he first arrived, while also assigned to the 488th IS.

The NAACP Meritorious Award was presented to Stahr for a collection of high achievements, including organizing Edwards AFB's first Cultural Diversity Day, and championing its cause from start to finish. His citation declares that his innovative approach to racial and cultural awareness and education set the standard for future diversity integration events. He also chaired the Air Force-mandated Human Relations Climate Assessment sub-committee, leading eight offices in conducting demographic analysis, and gave briefings on unlawful discrimination and harassment to more than 300 people.

According to the citation, his efforts produced a 30 percent reduction in contacts and complaints.

Stahr feels the Cultural Diversity Day was an extremely important event.

"Throughout the federal government, there are months to celebrate different demographics, such as Women's History Month, Black History Month and Asian-Pacific-American Heritage Month," he said. "But there's a lot more to our diverse background as military members than those specific races or demographics. What I wanted to do was expand that, and broaden our horizons so everyone would be included.

"Working in the EO office, one thing I noticed was whenever we did the celebrations for a particular demographic, such as the Black History Month dinner, the primary attendance of people who showed up were of that demographic, but hardly anyone else," Stahr said. "I started thinking, wow, there's a lot of diversity and culture going on that we're celebrating, but it's only those demographics who (seem to be) celebrating. Everybody else is really missing out on a great opportunity to learn about these other cultures that are working right alongside us."

The captain said he thought it would be a great idea to open it up to all demographics, rather than just the federally-mandated ones, which was the reason behind setting up the Cultural Diversity Day.

"We wanted to include Jewish-Americans, Arab-Americans, European-Americans, Italians and Germans - basically, anybody that's come over to America and is now part of the 'melting pot,' at Team Edwards AFB. They had the opportunity to set up a booth and tell people about what makes them unique."

"It was definitely a (learning) experience," Stahr said. "I hope it set the stage for what I think would be great for the Air Force - and the DoD as a whole - to start moving toward."

He said it's easy to make fun of people you don't understand, or cultures you don't know, but when you can learn about other cultures alongside your own, real appreciation and inclusion can happen.

Having taught many briefings on unlawful discrimination and harassment, Stahr knows it's vital that people understand the importance of it.

"Equal opportunity is a readiness issue - we can't do our job effectively if people are discriminating against each other, based on the five purviews that the EO office monitors for the military - race, color, religion, national origin, and sex," he said. "When people are treating each other differently, based on these sorts of things, across the board we always see decreased morale, work productivity, organizational effectiveness, and human-relations climates. This results in increased complaints and problems, and increased discord among one another."

Stahr said he often hears the excuse, "it's an 'old boys club' - you just have to get used to it."

"But that's not the right answer - the right answer is that we need to change together," he said. "We need to learn to appreciate each other, despite our differences. We need to be able to have respectful conversation between members of all demographics and different backgrounds, to grow together in education and inclusion."

Though he works for the 488th IS, Stahr continues to use his EO background and help out here. He briefs at the First Term Airmen's Center, and is preparing to deploy to Kabul, Afghanistan, later this year, where he'll be the equal opportunity and sexual assault response program manager there for a year.

The 488th IS captain said he feels humbled to have received the prestigious NAACP award.

"Right after I received the award, I put a post on my Facebook page: 'A small person among giants; a boy among sages,'" he said. "It was just such a surreal experience, to eat dinner with the Chief of Staff of the Air Force, the Undersecretary of the Air Force, and to shake hands with one of Martin Luther King's six protégés. It still feels like it didn't happen. This is nothing that I've ever expected and is still nothing that I feel I deserve - but as this year's award winner, I'm glad to represent all the people working tirelessly in equal opportunity and diversity programs throughout the Air Force and the DoD.

"To be able to stand in the same circle as Colin Powell, and the other generals and admirals that have received this award - it blows my mind," said Stahr.

Lt. Col. Alex Ganster, 488th IS commander, said Stahr is well-deserving of this award.

"I'm extremely proud of Capt. Stahr's selection as the NAACP Meritorious Service Award winner," Ganster said. "It's an incredible honor, and a testament to his dedication to the Airmen he serves. He has proven to be a leader that constantly upholds the legacy and core values of the world's dominant Air Force."

Stahr was presented the NAACP Meritorious Service Award by Gen. Norton A. Schwartz, Chief of Staff of the Air Force (who was the keynote speaker at the event) and Hilary O. Shelton, Senior Vice President, Advocacy and Policy, Director, Washington Bureau.

"I hope that my little bit of work in EO and diversity departments can inspire others to see the need for the importance of it, and I can start to champion diversity, equal opportunity and anti-discrimination of all kinds," said Stahr. "Wherever you are in the Air Force, you never know what kind of a dent you're making, but it's important to do the best that you can, wherever you're at. The important thing is that the Air Force is made a better place by people doing their very best, with integrity, service and excellence."

More...
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links