Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > General > General Posts

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-29-2006, 04:04 AM
Banned

Distinctions
Contributor 
Default AP Male Athlete of the Year.

Tiger Woods?
Golf and Athlete shouldn't be in the same sentence.
He hits a little white ball (Ok so he hits the little white ball good) 70 times in a day and then next week he hits the ball 70 more times. Athlete of the year?
Woods beat out San Diego Chargers running back LaDainian Tomlinson,31 touchdowns with one regular-season game left. And tennis great Roger Federer a distant third.of . Yea woods is a better athlete. Associated Press should be assamed. Maybe they should look at poker champion for there next athlete of the year.

Ron
Sponsored Links
Old 12-29-2006, 05:06 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

Ron,

Actually he probably hits about 1,000 balls a day not counting the 4 rounds he plays during the tourneyment. Go down to the range and hit 1,000 balls a day for a week. There is much more to golf than what your aluding to. There are many that don't believe NASCAR drivers are athletes or any race car drivers for that matter. It takes stamina in most professional sports to be a consistant winner.

Pack

"DISSENT IS PATRIOTIC!" (unknown people for the past 8 years, my turn now)
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2006, 06:58 AM
Banned

Distinctions
Contributor 

Pac
Hitting a golf ball doesn't make you any kind of athlete in my book, But thats just an opinion,
NASCAR drivers aren't athletes either. Jeff Gordon is a little wooss as with most Nascar drivers. Now there are a few, (very few) that might be able to hold there own in a fight, but that don't make them an athlete.
The two people that Tiger beat out for athlete of the year are real athletes, Wander what the Chargers are saying to there record holder that got beat out by someone that plays pasture pool.

Ron
Old 12-29-2006, 08:37 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Post Golf is an athletic pursuit.

It takes great eye and hand cordination. It take strength to hit a golf ball over 300 yards regularly. It take physical endurance to play 18 holes of golf. (4 - 5 mile walk)
If bowlers and pool players are athletes then golf certainly is.

I played football, basketball and baseball. I played basketball in college and in the Army. Playing golf at the highest level is definitely an athletic skill.

Tiger Woods - male athlete of the year and Lorena Ochoa - female athlete of the year are athletes.

Now whether they deserve it over others may be debated but golf is an athletic endeavor.

Keith
Old 12-29-2006, 09:38 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

Ron,

We'll discuss this more after you go hit a minimum of 7,000 golf balls next week.

Pack

PS I play every year in a celebrity golf tourneyment. The "celebs" are all former professional athletes. Football, baseball, and basketball. They would all tend to differ with your opinion on golf not being an athletic sport and Tiger Woods not being an athlete, especially after 36 holes using a cart.

Old 12-29-2006, 09:53 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Talking Tom,

You use a cart! What's wrong with you. That's weenie golf. Brother Bob will never show you respect if you use a cart while golfing.

Keith
Old 12-29-2006, 10:03 AM

Anyone had a good look at how well-conditioned Tiger Woods is lately?

I'm sure he spends just as much time in the weight room as LT or most anyone else.

As for golf's respectability among athletes from other disciplines, all of the famous athletes I've met in the last 25 years have been at the Masters, most notably Ernie Banks.
Old 12-29-2006, 10:13 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

Keith
Packo's a weenie with, or without the cart....He's pitchin' a bitch over the temp's being in the 50's next week on the mountain.
bOOger

God bless the ACLU
Old 12-29-2006, 10:19 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

Keith,

I have to use a cart due to my bionic hip....that ain't too bionic. The only time I don't have to use a cart is when I have a bag monkey to carry for me. Last time was when I was in Indy....guess who my bag monkey was? He can have Indiana...froze my butt off there. Had to ask for extra blankets and it was August.

Pack

Old 12-29-2006, 10:24 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Talking Did you say?

Bob's a monkey.
We aren't suppose to insult each other on this site. There are exceptions I guess. Bob may just be a monkey.

Keith